Friday, April 29, 2016

A-Z Challenge Day 25

Posted Friday April 29

I found more Y words than I expected!
Yoicks excl. Expression of surprise
Yeuk v. to itch
Yex v. to hiccup, belch
Yieldless adj. unyielding
Yird v . to bury


I like hot spicy food. No, I love it. So when a friend challenged me to join him at a curry restaurant that's famous for setting people on fire (not literally of course!) I accepted it.

The dish looked scrummy. It smelled amazing. The steam was so zesty it made my eyes water. We held our forks to our chests. One...two...three...go! I shovelled the first load into my mouth. Wow! ‘Yoicks’ I yelled, louder than I intended to, and a restaurant full of red sweaty faces turned in my direction. ‘Sorry’ I croaked. My friend was storming ahead of me. A quick swig of water and I was off again.

I thought I’d died and gone to hell! I started to yeuk, all over. Undaunted I carried on, eating with one hand, scratching with the other. Then I began to yex. Hic, burp, hic, burp. I couldn’t stop, it was yieldless. Yirding my pride, I admitted defeat.

That was yesterday. Last night I tossed and turned, wrapped in my sweat soaked bed sheets, hopping out of  bed every now and again to drink milk or nip to the loo. I still haven’t recovered so I’ve rung in sick to work. Oh no, here we go again. Sorry, must dash to the bathroom..........quick, quick quick.....




You can check out my A-Z posts thus far  by clicking  on a highlighted letter!
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z




27 comments:

  1. That poor person!! I hope they feel better soon! I rather like the word yex over belching :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. Yeuk we use in Afrikaans (jeuk) with the same meaning :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's an alternative spelling from old English - yuke, pronounced the same.

      Delete
  3. Yuck!! That stuff has turned you yellow-bellied!! Now I have the yeuks and yexxes!! Yoicks!!
    AJ at Ouch My Back Hurts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone has to ask — Y?

    Keith Channing A-Zing from http://keithkreates.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was wonderful - made me laugh out loud!

    Susan A Eames from
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Keith - absolutely wonderful Y words ... and what a great fun story line ... amusing to put it mildly ... congratulations .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yoicks! that was chilly! :)

    Brilliant job yirding Y.

    Nilanjana.
    Ninja Minion, A-Z 2016
    Madly-in-Verse

    ReplyDelete
  8. A good reason to stay away from super spicy stuff. Yoicks indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Although I have to say, the hotter the better for me in real life!

      Delete
  9. Yikes and Yoicks! I love Indian food, but not that hot. A bit of a kick, but not so much you can't taste anything. Nice work incorporating those odd words into your story, Keith! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Colin. I travel to India quite often and I've not had a curry like that there!

      Delete
  10. We had curry tonight at her local curry house. I hope I don't end up yexing and yurking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as your curry house isn't this one you should be OK!

      Delete
  11. Yoicks! I have a Yeuk and a Yieldless
    Yex that I can't Yird ..... sorry had a bad day and couldn't help myself ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. At least he learned to drink milk later. I read the water line and cringed. That makes spice worse.

    ~Ninja Minion Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine~
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, Indie Author

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, always milk, never water! I hoped someone might pick up on the bit about him drinking water.

      Delete
  13. I avoid most spicy foods, no matter how tempting, because they do indeed give me the itch, and extra visits to the bathroom! Oh yes, that famous "It must be something I ate" call to the office, without explanation of the temptation to which you yielded. :-)

    ReplyDelete