Friday, April 15, 2016

A-Z Challenge Day 14

The letter N has proved the most problematical so far when seeking obsolete words on which to base a yarn. Anyway, get your sea legs on because we are going sailing!


Naupathia n. seasickness




Why did I let her persuade me? She knows I suffer naupathia.

Mind over matter. I won’t be sick, I won’t be sick, I won’t – woooo!

Just hold the rail. That’s better.  I'm OK now. Oh, no no no, we are going down  –eeeeeeek – now we are going up..... 
oooooo....I left my tummy behind!

Hold tight. Nearly there, nearly there, breathe, breathe...  


That’s better, not rolling soooo much nowwwwwwwww - wrong...help....!


Weeee!  Bluuuuh………splat

Niff n. an unpleasant smell



You can check out my A-Z posts thus far  by clicking  on a highlighted letter!
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U W X Y Z

19 comments:

  1. Ooooh! I can so relate to this aptly-depicted queasy feeling. I don't think I would fare well on such an adventure either. Loved the addition of that final word, which required no further explanation! :-)
    Josie
    from Josie's Journal

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL :) Very cute! Thankfully unless it is really stormy weather, I'm usually not naupathic :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. The typography reminds me of waves... Great visualisation of the word :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Keith - good ones ... being in the fresh air helps - I always gravitate up to the deck on the ferries ... but wonderful words Niff at Naupathia ... I'll avoid a boat today .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaaah thanks!! You've just reminded me of my many fish feeding memories!! That's so NIFF! ;-)
    AJ at Ouch My Back Hurts

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great imagery. I think. ~grin~ That picture of a wave is too cute. It made me laugh.
    Awakening Dreams and Conquering Nightmares with a Pen
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hilarious and sounds like it's spoken from one who knows...!

    Susan A Eames from
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent several years commuting weekly from the UK to France, and I still take regular day trips. All I know is from watching others less sea-worthy than me!

      Delete
  8. My aunt and uncle took a cruise to the Virgin Islands once and she got so seasick he had to charter a plane to take her home. :-)

    Carol at My Writing Journal

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never really been seasick just felt a little funny when it was too stormy but I can feel with your narrator :-). Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I frequently use the cross channel ferry, the scene I described is something I see regularly!

      Delete
  10. I get motion sick, so I feel that pain!
    It's funny how a letter we wouldn't expect to give us trouble during the challenge does. For me it was Y.

    ~Ninja Minion Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine~
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, Indie Author

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. I'm writing day to day - I've not even thought about O yet! I am expecting a few problems with XYZ!

      Delete