Friday, April 15, 2016

A-Z Challenge Day 13


Today's neglected words are:-
Melange n. A mixture of different things.
Mellisonant adj. sweet sounding
Mulivious adj, go in different directions

I also have a word suggested by Darla M Sands whose A-Z posts I highly recommend:-
Mellifluous adjSmooth and flowing with sweetness.


A fitting musical accompaniment for your delectation.






I sit flicking dust from my trousers. I close my eyes for a moment or two, and  compose myself. The conductor appears, and the murmuring crowd breaks into loud applause. He raises his baton, and silence falls. I lift my violin to my shoulder; my heart beats a little faster. I flex my fingers. They tingle.

So absorbed  am I, that I hardly know I’m playing. So mellifluous the music that I feel close to weeping. A melange of tones, mulivious harmonies. I am in a different place, I wish it would never end. But it does, and too soon we are standing to joyful ovation from the extatic audience. The conductor shakes me by the hand, then he is gone.



I sit in my armchair, resting my head. I hear nothing but the distant mellisonant sound of my violin playing in a corner of my mind. Perfect tranquillity.





You can check out my A-Z posts thus far  by clicking  on a highlighted letter!

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U W X Y Z


26 comments:

  1. Very nice; I almost felt I was in the room listening the performance :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bliss indeed! Lovely piece, and I love the way you're able to work your chosen words into your flashes.

    Carol at My Writing Journal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melodies of Mozart? Mendelssohn or Mahler? No, no... melodies of ME!!
    AJ at Ouch My Back Hurts

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter started playing the violin this school year and I love listening to her. I hope she keeps it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It such a shame more young people don't take up instruments other than the guitar. I wish her well.

      Delete
  5. M-M-Marvellous - i do love the word Mellifluous - makes me think of Alan Rickman - and holding concerts in your head - what better - asides from porridge and spinning houses ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure Alice would love to attend a concert in your head! You really should invite her.

      Delete
  6. Concerts in the head are the best ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Pick the bits you like and skip the bits you don't! Musical indulgence.

      Delete
  7. You're so kind! You made me smile. Thank you, my friend. Wish we could meet up and share a pint some evening.
    Awakening Dreams and Conquering Nightmares with a Pen
    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love today's story, Keith - it's left me feeling positively mellifluous!

    Susan A Eames from
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
  9. That story makes me want to perform again.I never made it to more than the recorder and guitar though. And singing :-) . Great post !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and I'm sure were brilliant - all together now......

      Delete
  10. I adore this. Well done. I'm a fan of your words and the story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This story flowed as beautifully as the music we imagined. Did he fantasize playing, or was he remembering from times before? In either case, it was a sweet moment of rapture indeed!
    Josie
    from Josie's Journal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Josie, that's so kind of you. I left the interpretation open to the reader - I'm not even sure myself!

      Delete
  12. Great selection of words. The story is entertaining :-)

    ReplyDelete