Wednesday, April 06, 2016

A-Z Challenge Day 6

Posted Thursday April 7

I have 3 obscure words for you today:-

fastuous adj.  arrogant; showy. 
fabulist n.- recounter of fables; liar
flatulopetic adj.- pretentious, pompous





"Watch out, here comes pompous Tom" said Max. Sure enough, the flatulopetic Thomas Fotherington was heading our way clutching a bottle of bubbly and four flutes. Another lad’s night in the Dog and Duck was about to be hijacked.

Fastuous Thomas is something of a fabulist, so whatever he tells us we take with an oversized pinch of salt!

'My dear friends, greetings' he said as he pulled up a chair and sat himself in our midst. He made a great show of popping the cork from the champers, the sound of which startled a lady at the next table, so much so that she dropped her glass of chateau plonk on the flagstone floor with scene-stealing effect.

To cut a long story short, and believe me it was pretty lengthy, he told us that 'Mater and Pater'  (Mum and Dad to you and me)  were retiring to their country estate  and he was taking over the family business.

It was then that an old school chum of his bounced up to us. Thomas cringed and turned away hoping he hadn't be spotted. "Watch'a Tommy boy" he shouted, thumping Thomas on the back. "I hear your parents are giving up the corner shop. They'll have  more time to spend at the caravan now". Thomas huffed and puffed and huffed some more, then excused himself saying he had an important meeting to go to. 

The champagne was nice.



To  read previous stories, click on the letter!

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U W X Y Z



41 comments:

  1. It's probably not a coincidence that flatulopetic is spelled so close to flatulence. :-P And champagne is always a winner and especially necessary when guys like Thomas are around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interestingly I mentioned something similar yesterday - E day. Effluvium, an old expression for breaking wind!

      Delete
  2. what an effing silly story! Love it! And I am stealing your idea about past post links- very clever! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Language Kathe! You are more than welcome to copy my link

      Delete
  3. Hilarious! I love this story! I'm doing something similar this month on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI JEN. Glad you liked it. On my way to your blog.

      Delete
  4. I think we all know one or two flatulopetic fabulists who are capable of spinning grand tales like this, until someone blows their cover story. Great context for today's words, Keith - your A-Z stories are great fun (another f-word!) :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Josie, I'm delighted you are enjoying them.

      Delete
  5. I wonder if I will ever hear these words somewhere along the way after the challenge is over :) These certainly have all been unique and the ways you have weaved them into stories is great! Enjoying them all and I'm not being a fabulist.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the read
    & Thank you I learnt two new words today

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Keith,

    I have nominated you for the Liebster Award : http://indiandramaqueen.blogspot.com/2016/04/liebster-award-thank-you-upasana.html

    You are free to accept or reject it. if you do accept it, let me know too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DeeDee, that is so kind of you. I certainly will take it up, but not until,A-Z is out of the way! Thank you so much.

      Delete
  8. Ha ha ha.. the ending was fabulous, fantastic fable about a flamboyant gentleman ;)

    Thoughts...Sushree

    ReplyDelete
  9. now i can understand why some of these words became obscure, you can't pronounce them

    ReplyDelete
  10. He he - good story, Keith - and I've learned three new words today. :)

    Susan A Eames from
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if you'll remember them tomorrow Susan?

      Delete
  11. It's hard for me to look at flatulopetic and not think of flatulence. Then again, I can be quite immature. Great characterization--you really nailed this guy in just a few paragraphs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tut tut Tamara! You could sat Thomas is a pompous fart I suppose!

      Delete
  12. I'm with Tamara here. Flatulopetic = full of hot air! And Thomas would also be known as a gasbag. Coincidence? I think not.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh we all have a few flatulopetic fabulists around us. But how silly they can be!! Loved this story, Keith :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous! These words were all new to me. Well done.
    Awakening Dreams and Conquering Nightmares with a Pen
    Happy blogging! And be well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best are yet to come Darla! Glad you are liking them

      Delete
  15. I tried to say all three words, but am pretty sure I failed. Great story though. =)

    ~Ninja Minion Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine~
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, Indie Author

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haha. The way you take these fabulous, impossible to say words, and turn them into great stories, is a real gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The observant will notice that I don't do a Vocaroo reading on ones with unpronounceable words!Thanks R (with a difficult to pronounce name!)

      Delete
  17. Okay, I got one out of three - fabulist. Flatulopctrdedsf um what? Fastuous I can get my tongue around.

    I can think of a few fastuous, flatulopetic, fabulist Thomases around me.

    Fun story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great flash fiction with a moral lesson from a fabulist (in the good sense) - only needed the champagne to speak to make it a real fable ;-)

    ReplyDelete