Monday, April 04, 2016

A-Z Challenge Day 4

Posted Tuesday April 5

I have three neglected words for you today

Desuetude - (Des' wi tyood). Obsolescence; a state of disuse.
Defenestrate (dē-fěn'ĭ-strāt') - To throw out of a window.
Declivity - Downward inclination; slope.



I'm probably expecting too much. After all, it's pretty old and suffering from a severe case of desuetude! What do you think?

Sorry, I was forgetting you can’t see it! I’m trying to get this old radiogram to work. You remember them. They were like fancy wooden chests only instead of being filled with junk they had a built-in radio and record player - or gramophone as they used to call them. That’s where the name came from. Radiogr...well, you get it.

Which reminds me. Grandma had trouble with her phone the other day. (See what I did there?) It was a new-fangled smart job. Anti-desuetudic you could say! Perhaps not. Anyway, it is totally different from her old device which had dial thing you stuck your finger in, and curly cable. Anyway, she got so cross with the new one she defenestrated it. It hit the pavement and bounced its way down a declivity landing at the feet of a miserable teenager who was the only kid in his class not to own one. Result!

Hey listen, there’s a scratching noise coming from my radiogram. Yea! I do believe it’s come to life! Let’s open the storage part down here, find a vinyl and try playing it. Oh dear, the covers are in a bit of a state. Now, what have we got? Frank Sinatra, Janice Jop....wooo! A bloody mouse just jumped out!

Oh, I give up. Fancy a beer?



To  read previous stories, click on the letter!
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U W X Y Z



30 comments:

  1. Delightfully charming post. Well written. Enjoy the A to Z!
    @ScarlettBraden from
    Frankly Scarlett

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely job. I love the slightly rambling train of thought that still tied everything together.

    ~Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine~
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, Indie Author

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's nice to break free now and again.

      Delete
  3. Love the words, but let me get off topic to say I love the graphics on your blog, love the color, and love the A-Z at the bottom clicking off the days. Perfect!


    Cherdo
    Cherdo on the Flipside
    "Favorite Characters, Favorite Lines" on the A-to-Z Challenge 2016

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You say the nicest things! i'm all for minimalism and that'd what I hope I've acheived

      Delete
  4. I think a beer would be nice, those are rarely desuetude, especially at our house on a hot summer day :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not a beer but a cup of tea :-) I expected that mouse but it still was pretty ugh... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cup of the 'ole Roseie-Lee! I'll stick the kettle on.

      Delete
  6. You have Pearl on vinyl?
    Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. J here, stopping by from the #atozchallenge - where I am part of Arlee Bird's A to Z Ambassador Team.
    April is here and I'm excited about it. Best of luck to us both on meeting our goals of posting and hopping to other blogs.
    My blog has a giveaway. There's a bonus a to z challenge each day to encourage people to visit more stops.
    http://jlennidornerblog.what-are-they.com

    To throw out of a window...I can see how that could be a useful word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by. I'll be calling at your place in the very near future with my fingers crossed!

      Delete
  8. well two of them are somewhat tongue-twisters, nice post

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely post...made me remember my grandma as well as our old gram.... :)

    Thoughts...Sushree

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd love to sip a pint by your side! And this does deserve a title. But what, I'm not sure. It should start with a D, though. ~grin~
    Awakening Dreams and Conquering Nightmares with a Pen
    I’m really enjoying my little focus on music this month. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great story - and I've learned two new words too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I dont mind a beer and dont mind the radiogram without that mice too. I liked the Alphabet links at the end of the post! I might steal this idea of yours. Do I have your permission? :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Defenestrate! What a great word. And I'll take that beer--are you buying when the Challenge is over for us survivors? :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course - all are welcome and I'm in the chair!

      Delete
  14. Creative post! Have a terrific week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I grew up with a radiogram in the house. A beautiful piece of furniture. We also had a dial phone with a curly cable. Fortuneately my mum hasn't thrown her smartphone out of the window, she quite likes it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. I did too - in my mind I still see them so clearly

      Delete