Sunday, April 17, 2016

A-Z Challenge Day 15

Posted Monday April 18

My neglected O words are:-

Oratory n. A small chapel within a church for private prayer
Opsimath n. One who learns late in life
Orison n. a short prayer 
Oblation n. an offering, a sacrifice, anything offered in worship  




A bedraggled figure stood in the oratory.  He crossed himself; a simple act which he hoped would be his first step on a journey to forgiveness. His weary face bore a blank expression, his heart harboured an ocean of regret, his soul a sea of shame. He dropped to his knees and mumbled an orison. 

Why did he do it, what had he hoped to gain? How could he live to an old age harbouring such a secret? An opsimath with a burden of guilt he could no longer conceal deep inside. Would the God he'd so long denied now offer him a chance to redeem himself?

A few hours later he was found on the altar steps, life drained from him; his heart and soul an oblation. A shaft of sunlight pierced the gloom and rebounded from the shining cross which hung above his lifeless body. For a moment, a brief moment, its reflection bathed him in a pool of gold. Amen. 



You can check out my A-Z posts thus far  by clicking  on a highlighted letter!
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U W X Y Z

.

29 comments:

  1. Well, what did he do? I want to know.

    ~Ninja Minion Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine~
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, Indie Author

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea Patricia - I'd like to know too!

      Delete
  2. Very clever way to put all those interesting O words together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least he knew where he needed to be to ask for forgiveness.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Keith - I am definitely an Opsimath - though I'll try not to drape the Oratory floor with my non-obligatory death or woundedness! I'd like to around a while longer to let the brain grow in its knowledge ...

    Sad story ... but very evocative .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. bit confused between oratory and oritory,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Opsimath is a great word and one I can completely relate to!!!

    @Kathleen01930
    Meet My Imaginary Friends
    #AtoZchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  7. You amaze me. Truly. How on earth our you finding such beautifully related words? Well done, oh master wordsmith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's taking a lot of work Darla - I had no idea how much when I set my theme!

      Delete
  8. Cleverly woven story, Keith - and I've discovered I'm an opsimath! :)


    Susan A Eames from
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for teaching me what an oratory is. I wanted to know since ages :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Intensely, hauntingly beautiful. Guilt does consume us, and in the end most seek redemption. It is my prayer that he died spontaneously and did not take his own life as an act of reparation, whereas I don't believe in a God that demands or want this.

    This story was one of your best so far this month!
    Josie Two Shoes
    from Josie's Journal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like tho think so Josie. Thank you so much for your kind comment.

      Delete
  11. I'm kind of confused on what happened to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He could no longer live with a secret. What the secret was we'll never know now.

      Delete
  12. Perhaps it was an oratorical on Ovulation and Obstetrics that caused the ordeal.

    Mary
    #AtoZChallenge O is for O'Connor

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic post! Obsimath sounds like "obstinate at math" - maybe that's how I'll remember it. Maui Jungalow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one subject I'll never grow into Courtney!Thanks so much.

      Delete