Tuesday, April 26, 2016

A-Z Challenge Day 22

Posted Tuesday April 26

Welcome to my 1,300th post! Over the past 10 years, I have received almost 180,000 page views and enjoyed more than 14,000 comments. Thank you for your support.


Just a couple of underused words today:-
Vulpine adj. of, like or pertaining to foxes
Vauntlay n. in hunting, release of a lead set of hounds before a following pack is released



Foreword: The hunting of foxes with hounds was outlawed in the UK in 2004. However, the ban is often ignored and rarely enforced. As recently as last year the government considered repealing the act. The debate is ongoing.




Here in the thicket he feels safer, yet still afraid to breathe;

scared to stir  less he be heard.

The vulpine fox crouches in the gently swaying grass, eyes unblinking.

Ears twitching, searching for sounds.

Awaiting the wail of bugles, the vauntlay of hounds,

the thunderous throbbing of horses hooves.

Watching  for the bloody scarlet of the huntsmen’s gowns.

Should he stay? Should he dash? Should he try to run to ground?

At least for now the covert  protects him, hides him.

Here in the thicket, he feels safer.

For now.


Before you go, here is a word  I think we all can relate to:-
Verbile n. a person whose mental processes are most easily stimulated by words!


You can check out my A-Z posts thus far  by clicking  on a highlighted letter!
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
.

35 comments:

  1. Congrats on a great blogging achievement!! I do hope the fox stays safe!!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one, and congrats on the post count and particularly the comment cout - that's an average of more than ten comments per post. Very impressive.

    Great choice of words for the letter. I think one of my favourite 'v' words would be verisimilitude.

    Keith Channing A-Zing from http://keithkreates.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Keith. Verisimilitude is essential when story telling.

      Delete
  3. Would it not be great if all the city and town foxes get together and chase the hounds?!!
    AJ at Ouch My Back Hurts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice one, Keith. Foxes are such beautiful animals - as many as I've seen, it's still a thrill each time. Well done on your blogging achivements!
    p.s. I like 'verbile' - so very true. :)

    Susan A Eames from
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Keith - yes congratulations on 10 years and so many posts ... comments and visits - all encouraging isn't it. You've a great blog here and the V words match up perfectly ... especially the Verbile - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fox is an amazing animal. And congratulations on ten years!
    Awakening Dreams and Conquering Nightmares with a Pen
    In case I have not already informed you, I’m intermittently without Internet access right now. Thus I am trying to read and comment on as many blogs as possible whenever opportunity arises. Be well! And best wishes on completing the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are, but they do cause a few problems in the countryside as chicken breeders will tell you! Thanks Darla

      Delete
  7. Ooh yes, I'm definitely verbile! Great poem today! Tension well done.

    Congrats on the 10th blogiversary!! Those are some seriously neat blogstats.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great poem and congrats for all the posts and views and comments, you are an inspiration for a novice like me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, though I'm not sure I deserve such high praise!

      Delete
  9. As someone who goes Awww at anything covered in fur, I have to side with the foxes on this one. What does the fox say? Leave me alone!

    Congrats on your blogging milestones.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wrote a flash fiction with fox hunting, but the twist at the end was it was a fox toy.
    Congrats on the blog milestone too.

    ~Ninja Minion Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine~
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, Indie Author

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vulpine is a wonderful word--I think it describes some of my female characters quite accurately.

    @Kathleen01930
    Meet My Imaginary Friends
    #AtoZchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dammit I missed so much... I am going to go back and catch up, okay?

    Welcome in the letter "V"... thank you!
    Jeremy [Retro]
    AtoZ Challenge Co-Host [2016]

    Stop over and find a free "SIX STRINGS: BLOGGING AtoZ CHALLENGE" Here: http://www.jmhdigital.com/

    HOLLYWOOD NUTS!
    You know you want to know if me or Hollywood... is Nuts?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations and what a great story. But don't get me started on fox hunts....

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm definitely verbile! I LOVE your poem... (but not the subject, obv.!) I'm an animal poem person myself! ~Liz http://www.lizbrownleepoet.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome milestone to celebrate in conjunction with a stellar A-Z series this month! My heart goes out to the terrified little fox. Stupid people!

    ReplyDelete
  16. we love our foxes! and no dogs allowed here!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A foxes tale! Certainly having a brush with danger.

    Wobbly Wosey!

    ReplyDelete