Tuesday, April 19, 2016

A-Z Challenge Day 16

Posted Tuesday April 19

No less than five neglected words today:-
Poiesis n. creative power, ability
Peerl n. light drizzling rain.
Peripatetic adj. nomadic, travelling from place to place.
Peregrinated v. wandered (through)
Pedetentous adj. proceeding gradually or cautiously.



The day was dull and grey; a dank peerl descended on the village. Across a field walked a peripatetic stranger. Above him the sun broke through the clouds, leaving in his wake a canopy of blue. Flowers unfurled their showy petals as he passed. Birds sang from the treetops and butterflies fluttered and frolicked in the warmth of golden sunbeams.

He climbed a gate then peregrinated into the village. Suddenly all around was bathed in sunlight. A fluffy kitten weaved between his feet as he made his pedetentous way along the narrow cobbled street. As he crossed the stream the rippling water sparkled, silver fish leapt and dived. A white swan glided past a bed of waving golden reeds then swam 'twixt lily pads as one by one their delicate pink flowers burst open.

The astonished villagers watched as he walked away; he  stopped but briefly to look over his shoulder and smile before  continuing on his way. 





.

31 comments:

  1. Can that guy come to Michigan every winter and keep the snow away?

    ~Ninja Minion Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine~
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, Indie Author

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it can be arranged - I'll send him a text!

      Delete
  2. Maybe Mother Nature is really Father Nature and was spreading the beauty of Spring in his path! This was a sweet story, I am totally enjoying the different tones your stories take each day, Keith, very creative stuff!
    Josie
    from Josie's Journal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you so much Josie. Comments like yours make it all worthwhile.

      Delete
  3. He seemed to make their day with the poiesis he had. Enchanting!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very marvellous choice of words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. how beautifully said, great post

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - I don't know how you do it! You managed to get all those words into one tiny story - well done. (I only knew one of these words.)

    Susan A Eames from
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant. I especially love the word peerl. Why are so many of these words obsolete, they conjure up such visuals!

    Sorry I haven't been visiting much. I got writing, and shoe shopping :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annalisa, I'm so missing your A-Z contributions this year, but I guess there are more important matters in hand! I mean, one has to have shoes doesn't one! Great to see you here, thanks.

      Delete
  8. Must have been a small village. :)
    I don't think I'd stop to stare at a stranger...BUT this dude sounds like he needs to stroll by my house, and start rousing the trees and my garden from their winter slumber.

    Also "peerl" was a funny word. Heehee.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Peerl... so Irish!! My equivalent would be mizzle but I like peerl! ;-)
    AJ at Ouch My Back Hurts

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Keith - one I knew ... two I might have guessed - t'other two you enlightened me on .. I love your story too .. the poiesis power of your wandering peripatetic caster of dreams - just invokes wonderful images ... cheers HIlary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I love peerl! That will end up in my vocabulary!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely word - one to hang on to methinks!

      Delete
  12. Nice imagery! I want him to visit my home. :) Be well!
    Awakening Dreams and Conquering Nightmares with a Pen
    I hope you are having a day as lovely as what I’m enjoying on my back porch this fine Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i spent the afternoon in a country pub garden with local ales, the sprong sunshine and dickie brds for company! Bliss.

      Delete
  13. Great story. That was a good idea to use neglected words in stories for your theme. ~Meg Writer‘s Crossings

    ReplyDelete
  14. Peerl? would love to know the etymology. What's the back story there? The story that you've put up front however, is quite Peerless...enchanting imagery!

    Well, my poiesis got into a crisis with the next letter, as you know :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've no idea Nilanjana. Hopefully your poiesis will give you an easier time tomorrow!

      Delete