Saturday, April 23, 2016

A-Z Challenge Day 20

Posted Saturday April 23

Tacent adj. silent
Torvous adj. stern
Transillient adj. passing abruptly from one state to another
Tranducted v. Transmitted
Tanquam n. someone sufficiently educated to enter university




Twenty chattering teens filed into the laboratory. They stood before of a row of high-backed black chairs. A bell sounded. They fell tacent then sat as one.

A torvous technician entered the room and walked from child to child applying electrodes to their temples. He then sat before a monitor.

Again the bell sounded and the children’s eyes snapped closed as they became transillient. From the electrode on the left questions, problems and conundrums were tranducted into their minds. Mathematics, scientific computation, interplanetary culture, lunar geography. The right-hand electrode recorded their answers, solutions and explanations.

The bell rang. Their eyes sprung open. They stood. The tanquam students filed through the outlet on the right to be greeted by their ecstatic parents. The remainder walked to the doorway on the left and returned to their learning pods to continue with their educative programming.




You can check out my A-Z posts thus far  by clicking  on a highlighted letter!
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U W X Y Z

29 comments:

  1. That's an interesting way to learn.

    ~Ninja Minion Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine~
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, Indie Author

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting perhaps experiment to be involved in?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness I managed to get to uni without having to take tests in that particular format. Interesting words, interesting story.

    Nilanjana.
    Ninja Minion, A-Z 2016
    Madly-in-Verse

    ReplyDelete
  4. No playing hookie there!! ;-)
    What happens if accidently Pink Floyd's Time were to be played in an endless loop? :D
    AJ at Ouch My Back Hurts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cant think of a more apt accompaniment! I've now got The Dark Side of the Moon album running through my head.

      Delete
    2. Hope that wasn't too bad... imagine, you could have had some Justin Bee-wasp gong around your head!! ;-) Oh drat... how awful! :D
      AJ at Ouch My Back Hurts

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness that's horrible. Brings school bullying to a whole new level....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Automated learning could well be thing of the future.

      Delete
    2. Might help a few kids but I prefer self-teaching and I start to get quite radical about it experiencing school in the UK through my step-kids

      Delete
  6. I have very real chills right now. That "stop" at the end really pushed me over the edge. Well done!
    Awakening Dreams and Conquering Nightmares with a Pen
    It looks like I will have intermittent Internet access soon, so forgive me if I don’t stop by as often. I’ll try to maximize whatever time is allowed. Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i wasn't expecting that reaction Darla! Keep in touch if you can.

      Delete
  7. Scary. Sometimes wonder if this the way education is going.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well written, chilling little tale today, Keith!

    Susan A Eames from
    Travel, Fiction and Photos


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Variety is the spice of life Susan! Glad you found it entertaining.

      Delete
  9. Can't image plugging in the kids in my class! Mind you, it would make my life a lot easier.

    Hi, Rosey here - why not drop by?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Keith - not sure I like this method of learning ... especially if I was not tanquam grade! But wonderful storyline .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  11. why not, one day it could happen that way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ..if not that, some kind of programmed learning method.

      Delete
  12. Scary because this reflects so much of what "education" has become. There is no joy in teaching nor in learning anymore. A generation of children are being formed into fact repeating cubes under great pressure to score high. Tragic!
    Josie
    from Josie's Journal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly as I am seeing it Josie. School was fun for me. The joy of learning is rapidly being taken away.

      Delete
  13. oh my- rather scary way to be educated .

    ReplyDelete