Sunday, April 24, 2016

A-Z Challenge Day 21

Posted Monday April 25

Uliginous adj. marshy, muddy
Ulotrichous adj. having coarse curly hair
Ululate v. To howl, wail loudly
Unguiculate adj. having long claws
Ubiquarian adj. being everywhere at once




It is said that many years ago there lived nearby a hideous creature that terrified the folk of the village. They say it lived in the uliginous wasteland beyond the river. Some people claimed to have seen it. It was the size of a deer they said, but with muddy ulotrichous hair, and unguiculate talons. Everybody heard it. When the moon was high it would ululate from sunset ‘til dawn, seemingly ubiquarian; close by one minute and distant the next. So loud was it that even window panes were known to rattle and roof tiles vibrate.

Whether it be true or the stuff of legends I know not. Some nights I lay awake and listen to the sounds of the night beyond my window.  One part of me wants it to be true, the other lives in fear of the creature’s return. 

I tried to make a recording of the tale, but with each attempt, I got into more of a muddle. I gave up at number fourteen. If you want a laugh at my expense it's right here!




Picture by Dewilish at deviantART


You can check out my A-Z posts thus far  by clicking  on a highlighted letter!
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U W X Y Z


19 comments:

  1. I love spooky tales, they are the thoughts that keep our eyes open late into the night even when it is too dark to see.
    Josie
    from Josie's Journal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely rambled, Keith

    Keith Channing A-Zing from http://keithkreates.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Keith - love ululate ... and you do give us unique stories ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope the unsavoury urchin didn't upset Rosey and cause her to hide under her bed of up on in the attic! ;-)
    AJ at Ouch My Back Hurts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's more than likely Aj !She keeps a bottle Chardonnay and a glass under the bed for frightening situations like thunder storms and roaming beasties!

      Delete
    2. If only she kept a bottle of good red, any good red, under there as well... I could join her!! Protection, I'm not sure who will be protecting who?? ;-) Mind you... even a mediocre red would do!

      Delete
  5. another unique tale, well done

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done on another clever little story incorporating those words. One can only admire your ambitious attempts to pronounce those words... hilarious! Is the sketch one of yours too?

    Susan A Eames from
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thanks Susan. No, sadly the sketch isn't. If only...!

      Delete
  7. I like the story. But those strange words are how to pronounce!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a nice spooky tale.

    ~Ninja Minion Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine~
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, Indie Author

    ReplyDelete
  9. lovely spooky story and I enjoyed hearing your voice!

    ReplyDelete