Tuesday, November 21, 2017

.

Post 1640. Tuesday November 21

Flash Fiction for Aspiring Writers





We used to love sitting here watching the setting sun, didn’t we? I remember one day we had a trivial conversation along the lines of ‘how’s work, how’s your mum, what did you have for lunch, you need a haircut... will you marry me?’ You should have seen your face. You had a fit of giggles and said ‘no!’ Then you looked me in the eye and said ‘of course I’ll marry you’

Then your sun set, too soon. Why? I blamed myself. I blamed your family, I blamed the doctors, I blamed God. How dare he? I was angry, so angry. But it was nobody’s fault. These things happen. To some. To you.

That was a long time ago, and here I am watching the setting sun again, just as we used to. The bench is still here; it's a bit weather-worn and wobbly, a bit like me. That oak tree’s still over there. It doesn’t look a day older, unlike me! There’s one thing missing. You are missing. You.





Word count 169


Thank you Priceless Joy for hosting and Footy and Feedy for the photo (I love a bit of alliteration!)

24 comments:

  1. Lovely piece of real life tragedy and love Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How truly beautiful true love is!
    Beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely yet heart touching story! So very sad that she died. :( Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All good things come to an end. You seem to have tken most of us down this route this wek PJ!

      Delete
  4. So sad. My Dad died in April and my Mom still misses him terribly. I fear she always will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry James. It must feel like half of yourself has disappeared.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful. So full of love and acceptance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A whole life in a few sentences. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poignant. Beautifully narrated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Memories don't die. A part of the other person lives within us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is so beautiful Keith .. a true love story. The narration made me cry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't thank you enough for your lovely words Akshata

      Delete
  10. What a lovely story. So sad, because it could easily be a true story for any of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it could. Thanks so much for reading my piece and commenting.

      Delete
  11. a touching tale, Keith :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful story of a lifelong love. I really enjoyed that, Keith.

    ReplyDelete