Sunday, August 06, 2017

.

Post 1578. Sunday August 6

The Sunday Whirl 

After many years of taking part in The Sunday Whirl, I have decided to drop out. As a writer of prose, I'm finding myself slowly drowning in a sea of poetry! In future, I will be sticking to Friday Fictioneers which has a massive following, Sunday Photo Fiction, Flash Fiction for Aspiring Writers and several other prompt sites that attract a mix of genres and a greater number of weekly contributors. So, I'm going out with a bang!






I was missing one thing, popping candy. I’d visited this shop and that shop, but nope. I needed it to finish my dish. My neighbour Jack came to the rescue; said he had some in his shed. Odd place to keep it I thought, but hey-ho.

I combined my ingredients and simmered them until it was a vomity colour then had a taste to check it was spicy enough. Wow, quite a punch; it burnt my throat! No matter. I added some nuts, then plopped it in a bowl. It looked delicious. (That’s a lie, it looked putrid!) 

Then for the finishing touch; popping candy. It just said ‘Danger. Keep away from children’ on the label. Nothing else. Strange. Anyway, as I scattered it all over my masterpiece bubbles started bursting on the surface. Interesting. Then I stuck it in the fridge and headed for the garden with a well-deserved gin and tonic.

The fireman said I was lucky just my roof blew off; even luckier I was outside when it happened. I won’t tell you what my wife said! Now to find Jack.




The given words at this week’s The Sunday Whirl are - simmered, burst, surface, mixed, chains, matter, won (one)  colour, nut, punch, label, and throat.


.

14 comments:

  1. Hi Keith - glad your wife lived though ... but Jack - bet he had a good reason ... popping candy -never the same again .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. A pop star with an explosive recital, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always tell an amusing tale Keith. Sorry that you will be abandoning us poets and camping with the Fictioneers instead. When I started posting nearly all my pieces were fiction often serialised for many months on end. Sadly there are less venue for this writing now. Perhaps I will check to see how you are behaving at Friday Fictioneers and see if I can be tempted back to that form now and then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What little I've read of your fiction has been brilliant and I so wish you would do more. Why not try Friday Fictioneers 100-word stories? 97 of us took part last week alone! Thanks so much for your loyal support and much appreciated comments over the years Robin. Don't let's be strangers!

      Delete
  4. That sounds like something my #2 Son would try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd keep an eye on him in I were you! Cheers.

      Delete
  5. I've enjoyed the few pieces of yours that I've read. And you've inspired me to check out those sites you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. The sites I mentioned are not exclucively prose, there's plenty of poetry too - a really eclectic mix. I'll be looking out for you!

      Delete
  6. What a delightful tale --- at least until the roof blew off. Have you forgiven Jack yet? has he offered to buy you a new house? ;)
    Christine/ Swallow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgiven him? No, I got my revenge! Cheers Christine

      Delete