Wednesday, May 31, 2017

.

Post 1540. Wednesday May 31

Friday Fictioneers



Not hard, not soft, somewhere in between. Perhaps my spade had struck a thick root. I wasn’t sure. I scratched around with a trowel. I found a teddy bear, then knitted dog. 

I threw them away and continued digging.

I hit something solid, a stone maybe. But it wasn’t. I pulled a child's bracelet from the soil. Then a doll, and a tatty book of nursery rhymes.

I cast them aside and continued digging.

Not hard, quite soft in fact. What I found then will haunt me forever more and beyond.




For Friday Fictioneers which is hosted by Rochelle. The picture is from Karuna





32 comments:

  1. Oh my I can only imagine the discovery. Is it a tale of sadness, a beloved child lost to disease or accident, or is it a murder? Either way, very compelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know. I left it open. Thanks so much.

      Delete
  2. All too haunting, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't seem to shake the goosebumps you gave me. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent, Keith, just excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praise indeed coming from uch a skilled practitioner. Thank you Iain.

      Delete
  5. This one gave me chills, brilliant piece of writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a horrifying experience!
    One-of-a-kind , as always!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe, a tale from another civilization. Or toys a four-legged mother has buried for her pups. I am thinking positive...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Keith,

    I can only imagine what he found. Grisly.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ugh. How awful to be digging away and find the remains of a child. Very real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only imagine. Please God it never happens. Thanks Linda

      Delete
  10. A haunting read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A gruesome discovery. As he dug deeper my fear of what he'd find grew. Nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a horrible discovery; one to haunt him for a long time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me to I fear, particularly as this is not my usual genre. Thanks Dale.

      Delete
  13. scary stuff. i don't even want to guess what he found.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Although, I saw that coming, it was still shocking! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Vert affecting build up and pay off there, Keith. I felt what was coming but was still hit by it in the end

    ReplyDelete
  16. The last line was excellent, Keith. I like the open interpretation too. Well done.

    ReplyDelete