Saturday, March 25, 2017

.



Post 1485. Sunday March 26

The Sunday Whirl
Sunday Scribblings 2

Today is Mothering Sunday. Originally it was a religious festival in which Christians celebrated the Mother Church, but over the years has taken on a new meaning and become Mother’s Day similar to that in America in all but date.



‘It’s a lovely day Mother' said Harold. ‘All those long wintry months are behind us now. Just look at the sunshine lighting up the distant foothills. Can you see?’

‘Do you know what today is? It’s Mothering Sunday and I have something for you’. He placed a box of chocolates on the table beside her chair. ‘They are your favourites Mother, the velvety ones you like so much. And here, a card’ He put it on the mantelpiece alongside a little vase of wild spring flowers he'd picked early that morning.

He fetched a tray from the kitchen. 'I have made you some tea mother. Earl Grey. I steeped it for two and a half minutes just as you taught me’ He placed a silver strainer across a flower adorned china cup, and poured. He added just a little milk and one cube of sugar. Not too sweet. Just the way she liked it.

We are having a venison stew for lunch. I’ve put in some red peppers and a little paprika to give it a smokey touch.

He plucked a linen handkerchief from the top pocket of his jacket and dabbed his cheek. 'I miss you, Mother’ he said to the empty chair, clutching a casket to his heart.







Today’s given words at The Sunday Whirl are cask, foothills, velvety, stew, red, sweet, adds, smoke, touch, sunshine, months, long, and cask(et)

At Sunday Scribblings 2 we have just one word, wild.

.

16 comments:

  1. Good! He was the main beneficiary in her will then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My macabre self saw his coming, but I of course had more of an Anthony Perkins/Psycho scenario in mind. ~grin~ This is lovely, and more fitting for Mothering Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I'd steer clear of the macabre today Darla!

      Delete
  3. Very fitting on this wonderful day.

    - Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hoped it would come across that way.Thannk you,

      Delete
  4. Both sad and sweet at the same time, very well done Keith. It is so hard to set such memories free.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't see the surprise heart-wrenching ending coming. Very well-written, Keith!

    ReplyDelete