Wednesday, January 11, 2017

.

Post 1424. Wednesday January 11 2017

For last week’s Friday Fictioneers I wrote a story in the words of a child. As it was so warmly received I thought I would do it again!



When I grow up I’ll drive a train and hoot the hooter when I come into the station and make people jump. That’ll be fun. If I don’t drive a train I suppose I could just fly an airplane like the one that took us to Spain on holiday last year where we stayed in a hotel and the waiter tripped over in the restaurant and spilled that horrible cold tomato soup all down a posh man at the next table who was very cross and went very very red and I thought he was going to explode. Do airplanes have hooters like trains? Toot toot!




Thanks to our host Rochelle and to C E Ayr for the picture prompt.

If you missed my story last week, it was called Flour Fairies and you can find it HERE








29 comments:

  1. Hi Keith - you'll never get to drive that train ... you're always on strike! But yes those early days of being a kid and dreaming of a life style ... I always loved the Thomas the Tank Engine tales and similar ... you couldn't stop the jet juggernaut even if it had a hooter! Stay well away ... cheers Hilary

    PS - have you been to the Bexhill museum? - they've got the Izzard's Triang train set and layout there now ... one day soon I must get over and see it ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't mention strikes to me! I didn't know about the train set. I live close to the museum so I must go see.

      Delete
  2. I love the voice and how the kid moves from one topic to the next and smoothly arrives at the beginning again. Toot, toot.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the stream of consciousness from the kid. Sounds very genuine. Great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. believable tale from a kid's perspective. well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's refreshing to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! Every time I took a train ride as a kid I spent the next few days determined to be a train driver when I grew up :-)
    I like how being a pilot is a backup plan - the hooter swung it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well this was a hoot hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Trains always fascinate the kids. Unfortunately those hooters on steam engines are no longer there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's odd that trains are still shown as steam ones in children's stories when they'll probably never see one! That's why I used a modern train cartoon and referred to hooters not whistles! Thanks yarnspinner.

      Delete
  9. I hope the airplanes have them.. but alas no... better use the train.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute... And I can hear the child telling it just like that... going from one to the other to back...

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so cute ....

    I loved it

    ReplyDelete
  12. You capture the child's voice perfectly!!! This sounds exactly like the kind of thing my 3 year old says. Well done :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still a child at heart so it comes easy! Thanks Jessie

      Delete