Tuesday, January 10, 2017

.

Post 1422. Wednesday January 11

For Six Sentence Stories where our given word is Rank





With an upbringing such as his, it was inevitable that his rise through the ranks would be rapid.

Aways the smartest, his uniform is pristine from his highly polished footwear to the perfectly aligned stitches on his buttons and the razor sharp creases on his trousers.

He doffs his cap to ladies and gives up his seat to those more needy; his manners are impeccable.

Just yesterday I watched as he snapped his head first to the left and then to the right before marching across the road, his arms swinging, his head held high, his posture... perfect.

His colleagues are in awe of him, and this morning they will applaud as he receives the ultimate honour.

Yes, his rise from Book Monitor to Prefect, then House Captain and now Head Boy has been rapid and well-deserved.


Post script. I fear I may have left some of my overseas readers a little baffled by the references to positions in the final sentence. They are in fact all areas of responsibility in UK secondary schools - high schools as they are otherwise known, with Head Boy the highest. 




.

11 comments:

  1. This made me smile. For a long moment I thought the last honour would be at his funeral after a car struck him! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Status. I like the way you went.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Attention to detail pays off when you want to do your best and be your best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to have to check out more on this story! I enjoyed this part!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great take on the prompt, Keith! I could just see him strutting his stuff with military precision.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to smile as a former military wife, envisioning this man preparing for ceremonial inspection with such perfection required, then we get to the end and find out it is a boy's school where he is moving up the ranks. Great story, I suspect he will go far in life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. fun Six! I had to look up House Captain and Head Boy... (half the fun of these stories to learn and see things we might not otherwise have seen).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was visualizing some military recognition. I wasn't familiar with some of the words used in your story, but I suspect those familiar with the Harry Potter books would be. Great story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, they are all positions awarded to star pupls within the UK school system, not just at Hogwart!

      Delete